Thursday, June 3, 2010

finally

When we bought this house 4 years ago, we were a little disappointed to be leaving our brand new fridge behind for all old appliances. It didn't take long for the washer and dryer to die. We replaced them with the larger, more efficient front loaders.

About a year later, we noticed the dishes were coming out of the dishwasher almost as dirty as they went in. We hit the sales at Sears and purchased a stainless steel dishwasher with hidden controls. I loved the look and figured that we would slowly replace all the appliances to match.

In December 2008, I came home to find water on the floor in the kitchen. The 14+ year old fridge was dying. Since we were about to leave for the Christmas holidays, I was rushed to find a replacement ASAP. The last thing I wanted was to come home from a trip to find a fridge of spoiled food and a warped wood floor in the kitchen. So, I found a stainless model that matched pretty well with the dishwasher.

This spring, a few of the burners on the stove finally died and the oven didn't seem to be regulating the temperature well. After a few dozen burnt cookies, we realized we had to bite the bullet again and purchase yet another appliance. Once again, we headed to Sears and I picked out an awesome stove with 5 burners and a warming drawer and convection oven. I had been monitoring prices and managed to get it at the cheapest I've seen before, or since. In order to complete the set, we also purchased the matching micro hood.

I was thrilled to finally have matching appliances for the first time EVER. No more white fridge, black dishwasher and cream stove!

We had the stove installed-you know what with the pesky gas line and everything. But we figured we could handle a microwave! after discovering that the range hood was hardwired into the electrical system and the micro hood required an outlet, we put it on hold. One of Pat's co-workers was solicited to help install the thing, but one thing after another kept getting in the way. I was about to give up hope. The gigantic box sat on the floor of the dining room for 3 months.

Today, after a shitty day dealing with emotional issues, abuse, and thoughts of suicide (not mine, but a student's) I came home to this-




It is so beautiful.

And my husband is so wonderful for getting it done, finally!

No comments: