Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Age is just a number, right?

Yesterday I turned 37. I don't necessarily feel 37, but I am beginning to wonder how old I do look. I must admit, there are some pretty good genes in my family that gives me hope that I will age gracefully. However, my experience at the hairdresser last week gives me pause.

After I had Emma, I let my hair grow. Not really on purpose, but it was pretty much impossible to get out to the hairdresser. At the start of the school year I went for the first time in probably 6 months for a hair cut. My hairdresser felt that we ought to try out the longer length. Normally I trust her, so I went along with it. I couldn't wait to go back this time and get it chopped. The length was just annoying me and I was ready to go back to collar length again.

Last weekend I told all of this to the young shampoo girl at the salon while she was washing my hair. She then began to ask me all the obligatory questions:

Shampoo Girl: When was your baby born?

Me: In April

SG: April what?

Me: April 20

SG: Oh, my birthday is April 17

Me: That's actually my anniversary.

SG: Wow, how long have you been married?

Me: It will be 10 years this coming April?

SG: How long were you together before you got married?

Me: About 4 or 5 years

SG: Is this your first marriage?

WHAT!?!?! How the hell is that your next question? How old do I look that I could have been in a 15 year relationship AFTER my first marriage.

I'm just hoping she really wasn't paying attention to what I was saying and that I don't look 47 instead of 37!!

No comments: