Friday, April 10, 2009

How to Boil an Egg

This is a touchy subject in my in-law's home. Many a family reunion has been "ruined" by deviled eggs that even the devil couldn't peel. My father-in-law has many theories on the best way to boil an egg. I can't remember exactly what they are, but you are either supposed to use old eggs, or new eggs; peel them right away, or let them sit. I can't remember. One year he even conducted an experiment. He used both new and old eggs. I honestly don't think it mattered, both of the eggs ended up looking pitted and less than desirable.


Since it is that time of year again, I thought I would conduct my own experiment. Now, I didn't get all scientific and have a control group or anything, but I did try a new method found here. Here are a few photos of the process:





This goes against everything my mother's "boil an egg" recipe states, so I am reluctant. Who knew I needed salt and a pin?




Poking a hole in the wide end is supposed to help air escape during the boiling process so that you don't have that lovely air pocket at one end. Now, this will probably mean that my eggs are guaranteed to be pink and purple when I peel them after dying, but it's only food coloring, right?




This recipe calls for you to actually place the eggs into boiling water and then simmer them for a particular time based on their size. These are extra-large eggs, so they simmer for 13 minutes.




Covering them with cold water after boiling...that I knew!!

These eggs will be dyed either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm sure I'll capture that as well. However, I won't be able to post about the effectiveness of this boiling method until Easter morning.

No comments: