Thursday, June 11, 2009

I just don't get it

Yesterday afternoon I was checking my twitter account and saw the breaking news that there had been a shooting at the Holocaust Museum. Naturally, I was shocked and saddened by the report. At the time, I was too busy to go and check the news sites to read more about it.

Later, while at the gym, I was watching the monitor above my elliptical machine and was captivated by the reports.


I just don't get it.

I don't understand how people can feel so much hatred for a group of people solely based on their religious, ethnic, or racial background. So much hatred, that they feel the need to take radial action against that group.


I can understand situations where you would feel hatred toward an individual that has grievously harmed you personally, but the whole I hate you because you are [fill in the blank ethnic group] makes absolutely no sense to me.

I just don't get it.

I was crushed when the reports came out that the security guard died of his wounds. I'm sure the woman on the elliptical next to me was a bit perplexed when I let out an audible groan. Stephen T. Jones did what he could to protect the staff and visitors to the museum and died heroically trying to prevent further destruction. I am sure that James Wennecker von Brunn will be pleased to learn that he has killed an African American as well as impacted an amazing and moving museum dedicated to honoring the victims of the holocaust. What is more disgusting to me is that there are throngs of individuals who will now laud this man and his ideology; he will no doubt be placed on a pedestal by other hate groups.

I just don't get it.

After Dr. Tiller's death earlier this month, and now this, I am more and more confused by those out there that feel the need to push their beliefs onto others. I just had a conversation with my oldest the other day about this (the concept, not the specifics). We talked about how this country was founded by people who wanted the freedom to believe in their own ideas and religions. This is what makes this country great. I am so glad I live in a country where I can vote for who I want, believe in what I want and live free, yet RESPECT others for having their own, and even different beliefs. I don't understand intolerance and hatred. Most importantly, I hope that I have instilled this in my own children.

I just don't get it.

1 comment:

Barb said...

I don't know why, but I was rather affected by the death of the security guard as well. I was actually driving though DC, near the Smithsonian, on Wednesday probably 10 or so minutes before the shooting. Not that I was in danger, but somehow that just made me feel more connected to the incident.

I don't understand those people, either...