Saturday, June 27, 2009

love

Today is the funeral for my Great Aunt Christine Sheetz. She was 97 years old. The women in my family tend to live a long time, so it is not surprising. What may be, to some, is that her husband Bill is still going strong at 103! Last year, the couple celebrated their 80th wedding anniversary, and her death came just one week before they would have celebrated 81 years of wedded bliss. They still lived in their own home and were amazingly still very independent. If I remember correctly, Uncle Bill may have still been driving.

Last year they profiled in Pennsylvania Families magazine last year and there was even talk of a visit to the Tonight Show, but Uncle Bill declined.

Their story is one that makes you truly honor the institution of marriage. I know that it is physically impossible for me to be married 80 years (I would be 107 years old), but I hope that my marriage can at least be as happy and fulfilling as theirs was.

As touching as their story is, my lovely husband remarks, "Man you're never going to die are you."

No comments: